The ultimate goal of the Cult Mechanicus is to understand the Omnissiah. The communal and individual attempt of Mechanicus believers at this is known as the Quest for Knowledge, and the Cult’s followers view this endeavour as paramount and more important than any other concern. Generally, the Quest is pursued through scientific and exploratory endeavours. The Cult believes that all knowledge already exists, and it is primarily a matter of time before it can be gathered together to complete the Quest. The Mechanicus’ members are therefore disinclined to perform much original research, and they consider it more important to safeguard that knowledge which they already have accrued and gather more by searching for STC templates and similar lost pieces of ancient human technology from the Dark Age of Technology. Some original research does happen within the Adeptus Mechanicus, although the results of such endeavours are strictly quarantined for many years before being disseminated publicly.
In the Quest for Knowledge, members are guided by the Sixteen Universal Laws.
The Sixteen Laws, or “lores” are as follows:
01. Life is directed motion.
02. The spirit is the spark of life.
03. Sentience is the ability to learn the value of knowledge.
04. Intellect is the understanding of knowledge.
05. Sentience is the basest form of Intellect.
06. Understanding is the True Path to Comprehension.
07. Comprehension is the key to all things.
08. The Omnissiah knows all, comprehends all.
09. The alien mechanism is a perversion of the True Path.
10. The soul is the conscience of sentience.
11. A soul can be bestowed only by the Omnissiah.
12. The Soulless sentience is the enemy of all life.
13. The knowledge of the ancients stands beyond question.
14. The Machine Spirit guards the knowledge of the Ancients.
15. Flesh is fallible, but ritual honours the Machine Spirit.
16. To break with ritual is to break with faith.
Path of STC restoration
Tech-priest stumbles upon unknown STC designs, STC items or fragments.
Painstaking collection and research of fragmentary remnants of design and production of a particular STC item.
Extracting and combining available data to recreate intact STC hard copy.
Putting up a factory capable to produce previously unavailable STC item.
5: Approved by Mars
Pilgrimage for including acquired knowledge to STC data-bases of Mars and other forge worlds.
Path of original research
Frowned upon by conservative tech-priest, ecclesiarchy and inquisition.
1: Uncategorized Observation Data
Tech-priest stumbles upon some anomaly that has eluded or driven mad the previous researchers.
2: Deep Research
Continue the study of the gathered data further to create blueprints of a prototype.
3: Working Model
Building a prototype based on personal research.
4: STC Integration
Combine your Working Model with existing STC technology.
5: Put Forth The Proof
Debate, and if necessary assassinate, with success your theory of STC Integration against Mechanicus with rival or opposing theories, different Working Models and competing STC Integrations.
6: Approved Knowledge
Pilgrimage to Mars to integrate acquired knowledge to STC data-bases of Mars and other forge worlds.